Mom's Birthday Cake - White Cake with Cream Filling and Butter CreamIcing

This was my first time ever making a filling for a cake.

It turned out great!

I made a batch of my basic white cake recipe and baked it in two 9" round baking pans for 35 to 40 minutes.

I let them cool then placed one on a plate and smothered it in the cream filling. I then put the other cake on top and thinly iced the cake with my famous butter cream icing.

Once I sealed the cake with the thin layer of icing, I followed up with a thicker layer of icing. I dyed half of the remaining icing with red food coloring and put it in a piping bag with and str tip. I iced " Happy 59th Birthday Linda" and piped pink along the edge. I topped it off with sprinkles and it looks awesome and tasted even better!

Here is the recipe for the cream filling.
Makes enough for the middle of one 8" or 9" round cake

You will need:

2 tbsp Corn starch
Dash of salt
6 tbsp sugar
1 Cup Milk
1 Egg
1 tbsp butter
½ tsp vanilla

1. Mix together corn starch, salt and sugar in a saucepan
2. Gradually add cold milk stirring constantly over medium heat until mixture is thickened and bubbles for 1 minute.
3. Beat egg slightly and add part of hot mixture to egg.
4. Blend and return all to saucepan.
5. Cook, stirring constantly for two minutes.
6. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.















Making the Cream Filling


No comments: